Sherlock Holmes and Non-Linear Adventure Games - by Dolgion Chuluunbaatar

      Posted 09/02/10 06:43:00 am   As I was on vacation, I picked up my sister's copy of Sherlock Holmes stories, and quickly I got caught up in the really really beautifully narrated and well thought-out plots. As I had my phase of obsessively playing the classic LucasArts adventure games, the very first Holmes story "A Study in Scarlet" led me to think about the adventure game genre.It should be no news to you that the basic design of adventure games is largely the same as it was 20 years ago. Which isn't bad. Those games, as I said, were gems and the old design patterns, if well implemented and with a good amount of creativity, do lead to an enjoyable gaming experience.  I'm kind of a sucker for the whole non-linearity subject, as you might have noticed looking at my other blog posts.

Comments