PAX impressions / Donkey Kong Country Returns

I think my age group has finally taken over the videogame industry, as it seems to be the mid 90′s all over again. New NBA Jam, new Mortal Kombat, new(ish) Duke Nukem, and a new Donkey Kong Country. One of the more puzzling announcements from E3 was Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios being well into development on Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is about as un-Metroid Prime as one can get.

Just as the NBA Jam guys obviously played themselves a ton of NBA Jam, it’s clear from the level I played that the guys at Retro locked themselves in a room with a Super Nintendo and a copy of Donkey Kong Country for two months and paid close attention to what made DKC so great. There were three levels to try out, but once the Nintendo rep informed me that one of the levels was a mine-cart level, I knew the proper choice to make.

Comments