We all have our moments when we doubt our skills (no matter how good we think we are); especially when we're tackling new and unfamiliar territory.
Let me elaborate some 'fear items'; problem states that manifest inside a young hackers brain-space;
1. A sharp learning curve in technology API X.
2. A sudden surge of labyrinth compiler errors and heisen-bugs.
3. A lack of enthusiasm; avoiding code seems easier and more comfortable.
4. The Engine Module that will not be tamed.
I'd like to also note that cambrian explosion in engine technology; just look at the flood of tech available to a junior hacker today, we have to worry about EVERYTHING from OpenGL all the way to Lua. Under such conditions, a junior programmer may feel overwhelmed.
The common solution is holding a conservative attitude; 'Oh, I don't do language X, because its way out of my league.' 'I don't really have time to understand all of this!' 'I just wanna make a game'
...
This mental exercise I have been practicing, and fine tuning, for the past 2 years helps me build more confidence, and it certainly helped me survive the cambrian explosion. Granted, everyone has a lot to learn, this mental exercise is geared on building confidence and stamina, with respect to the art of engine code. Part of this regimen was adopted from training manifestos I experienced in the USMC (don't worry, the physical aspect of this marathon won't kill you or anything); I've adapted similar models from marksmanship training and conditioning, and applied them to the hacker mindset.
Step 0 : TIMING and SCHEDULE
If you are 'short' on time, make time. You will need 7 full days for this training cycle. This regimen isn't built on quick fixes. You need to adjust your sleep schedule as follows; Sleep 4 hours, Code for 8, sleep for 4 hours, code for 8, repeat.
It looks harsh, but not really; you're only doing this for no more than a week. (If you go beyond that, well, don't blame me if you get diagnosed with schizophrenia) Make this sleep/work regimen, and stick to it. It's only a week, but its a week worth hacking. Find time to eat in front of the terminal. You WILL get enough sleep; you are allowing yourself to spend more time working, and less time feeling tired and exhausted.
The usual 'hot pockets
Comments
Post a Comment