Trenchant differentiation between game ratings (E T M). - by Lewis Pulsipher

      Posted 11/22/10 05:06:00 pm  

I read the following quote and then tried to find an analog for video games:  “In a G-rated film, the hero gets the girl, in an R-rated film, the villain gets the girl, and in an X-rated film, everybody gets the girl.”  - Michael Douglas

Here's the best I've been able to come up with:  "In an E rated game, no one bleeds, in a T rated game the bad guys and bystanders bleed a little, in an M rated game, everyone bleeds a lot."   

I like one suggested by "Peer" (a commenter on my game design blog): In an E-rated game you see people, in a T rated game you see bodies, in an M-rated game you see bodyparts.

To which I've added: In an E rated game, violent death is hidden, in a T rated game violent death is obvious but straightforward, in an M rated game violent death is the major focus.

    Comments
Matjaz Puhar
23 Nov 2010 at 2:42 am PST

Comments