Final Fantasy XIII - what I expected and what I got. - by Keith Yap

      Posted 11/22/10 02:40:00 pm  

Characters

First, let’s talk characters. Unlike the Final Fantasies before none of the characters have an epic feel to them, Lightning started really well, however she seemed to become less loveable as the game progresses. She was more like a spoiled kid who has to do it her way. The game also doesn’t translate bad-assery when playing. I remember in FFX where the first time you see Auron land a hit, you’d go ZOMG so strong! This game didn’t have that at all. Other FF’s had that too like being in a party with Sephiroth in FF7 or Beatrix in FF9.

There were some great moments for me like Sazh and Vanille’s scene which certainly gave me a better impression of Sazh. In an RPG I don’t think I’d want to play as a bossy main character, cry baby, over optimistic girl or a dude that tries to act cool. It was too much drama for a Fantasy game. At least Fang was ok she was pretty bad ass but had weird lesbian moments with Vanille that weren’t hot. The problem is that the characters were all forced to undergo changes or strange revelations that were not necessary. As if all the characters had to be round. And YES I found Vanille ANNOYING. And for the most part my friends and I use Lightning, Fang and Hope... had to use Vanille once for a quest and. They were simply better stats wise and less annoying. Sazh is still ok in my books but loving a character is very opinion based and it is the developer's job to find the correct balance in making characters that cater to the audience.

Comments