Remember DOS gaming?? - by David Engler

      Posted 10/27/10 11:25:00 am  

Hello again!

Does anyone else remember what DOS gaming was like, waaaaay back when?? I was so desperate for games of any variety, I took ANYTHING that was available. When I was 13 years old, my dad brough home the most amazing machine I had ever seen... a COMPAQ Luggable computer! This behemoth was awesome... it had a 7" ?) green screen on the left, with two 5 1/4" floppy drives on the right. The keyboard flipped up onto the face and locked in place, so you could slide the whole unit into a padded carrying bag and LUG it around with you! The first really portable computer! The darn thing weighed about 50 lbs though... hence the term LUGGABLE!

Regardless, I loved it, and spent as many hours as possible playing games on the thing! My favorite had to have been Track & Field. We had no joysticks or mice back then, just the keyboard, so I learned how to frantically beat the heck out of those keys to maximize speed and jump lengths! In fact, I recall hacing the freakish ability to literally vibrate my hands/wrists/fingers to achieve ridiculous running speeds - something my friends watched me do with awe and concern, I imagine! I probably even developed the first real case of gamer-related carpal tunnel! But I had to play, even when it hurt! I was hooked.

Having that computer started a lifelong addiction to computer and video games, one that no matter how many times I've tried to quit I simply cannot ignore. The truth is, I simply LOVE playing video games - the immersion, the escape, the thrill, the adrenaline rush - NOTHING compares!

That's why I simply MUST devote my attention to securing a career in this industry. Nothing else in the world drives me, motivates me, or gives me the same satisfaction and enjoyment as playing games.

Ciao for now!

Dave

    Comments

none   Comment:  

Submit Comment

Comments