So Long, Friend: Remembering the PSP - by David Galindo

      Posted 08/28/10 05:12:00 pm  

It was March 24th, 2005, and I had a wad of cash saved up from my shoe stocking job at Sears. I had researched the launch games, had kept up with the coverage, and was hyped beyond my original expectations: the PSP was finally coming out, and I was about to take it home with me.

As I drove straight from Gamestop to my first morning lecture class at my local college, I started to peel the shrinkwrap from my launch game purchases at every red light. The smell of new plastic started to fill my car as I stripped each security seal from the top of the boxes and wrapped it around the discarded cellophane, creating a plastic ball of wrapping not unlike the birthday and Christmas balls after a hearty dose of new gifted electronics. Unlike those days however, I knew exactly what I was getting…no need for any fake joy or reasoned expectations as I stripped each game of its shrinkwrap. Wipeout Pure. Lumines. Ape Escape. Ridge Racer. It was but a fraction of the twenty four titles available at launch, quite possibly one of the most diverse and best lineup of games ever launched with a handheld or console.

 

Comments