My first eperience publishing a free flash game - by Daniel Silber

      Posted 10/21/10 06:40:00 am  

So last week I posted my first completed project as an indie developer on a couple of portals and have learned an awful lot through the experience. 

I have been working on a game for quite a long time and decided to take some time off to build something small and see what it feels like to finish something.  So I built this guy in a little under a month and added it to Kongregate. A screen by screen platform game in a retro pixel style called 'Pixel Guy's Quest'.

I didn't realize it, but I had unconsciously expected to receive a rating of 3 or 4 out of 5.  There is nothing particularly unique about the game, but it was (what I consider) to be a fairly solidly-built game.  So when folks started reviewing and the rating was about 2.5, I was a bit surprised.   I then added the game to Newgrounds and got a slightly warmer reception - a rating a little over 3 out of 5.


The players on both sites had similar things to say.  Criticism ranged from general to specific, but overall seemed to have the underlying message:  It is an okay game, but it doesn't have anything unique enough to make is super worthwhile. 

Then I started to snoop around on both sites and see what sorts of games got high ratings and/or high play counts.  Wow, what an eye opener!   Some games were big and complicated, some were small and funny, some were hardly even games and were more like interactive movies.  There was one game called "You have to burn the rope" that is a tiny little game, but absolutely clever and entertaining.

Now it is time to do some more investigation…. I will report back soon.   

    Comments

none   Comment:  

Submit Comment

Comments